Friday, February 28, 2014

Yeah, pretty much.



You need to be your own harshest critic, and your own biggest fan. 

The first is important because it helps you improve, always. You abilities will never quite catch up to your imagination, and that's a good thing. The second is important because you will face plenty of harsh criticism "out there," especially if you put your work in a place to receive it. Free, for example. To survive this and keep writing, you need to be your own biggest fan.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I enjoy writing, it's catharsis. It's something I'm better off for doing. I feel like I might, at some point in the future, be able to express the things I want to say with it. And at the same time, when a piece is proof-read, edited and published, I never want to look at it again. All I'd say if I did was something along the lines of "What the shit is this fuck?"

And that's just what writing is. At least, the way it is to about 99% of the people I've spoken to. The day you write something and think "Yep, this is perfect," is the day you're done as a writer. Of course, the comforting thing is that I'm not the one paying me to write. Readers are. In that sense, my opinion isn't important. I just need to get the writing done and out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment