Monday, May 20, 2013

Words, words, words...


So, I wrote 1500 words two days ago. Yesterday, I discarded those 1500 and wrote 1000 instead, and they were better. I added another 1000 words to the first, making yesterday my most productive day so far.

My editor tells me clever things like "brevity is the soul of wit" and the like, and I'm sure that's true. I don't particularly think about making my writing as compact as possible when writing it, though. I do have a tendency towards being verbose (But which writer doesn't), so refining has done a lot for me over the years. I'll write something, let it rest the night over, then throw it all out and start over.

It's like when the words are written in Word, I can look at them again, I can refine what I wanted to say into something better. My mind is a rambling and tumultuous place. I'm sure someone more organized wouldn't have to write half their stuff twice just to make it enjoyable to read.

In other news, I spent yesterday with my family, visiting a museum in an old manor house, and then the baroque garden that was still being kept in the adjoining areas. It was quite inspiring for me, especially because the baroque style is all about shaping nature into human designs. I'm currently writing something with a very nature-focused and somewhat anti-human character in it, so it helped me come up with some good stuff for her worldview.

Inspiration really does come from all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment